The 50 Best Universities in Indonesia – If you are currently still in grade 12 of high school/equivalent and want to continue studying at your favorite PTN/PTS but are confused about where to study.
Apart from paying attention to career opportunities after graduation, you also have to adjust to the talents and interests that are within you, as well as aspects of the quality of the institution. In order not to choose the wrong campus, it’s a good idea to know which campuses or institutions are included in Wemoteric’s 100 best universities in 2020 Positions 1-50, Sinaumed’s. What are they? Check these out!
1. Gadjah Mada University (UGM)
Gadjah Mada University (UGM) is a public university in Indonesia which was founded by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia on December 19, 1949. Gadjah Mada University (UGM) is located on the Bulaksumur Campus, Yogyakarta.
The UGM campus as the first university established by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia after Indonesia’s independence, has 18 faculties, 265 study programs, 111 joint degrees and 23 study centers. The following is Gadjah Mada University’s (UGM) Ranking Achievements so far:
- THES (Timer Higher Education-Qs World University) world ranking 250, 2009
- Ranked 1st in Indonesia version of AIPT BAN-PT 2014
- Ranked 1st in Indonesia, 5th in Southeast Asia, 414th in the world version of Webometrics (2014)
- Gadjah Mada University is the University with the Best Quality Assurance System in ASEAN together with the National University of Singapore and Chulalongkorn University
- Several departments at UGM have received prestigious international accreditation with an A predicate and UGM is the first university in Indonesia to achieve this prestigious accreditation.
2. University of Indonesia (UI)
University of Indonesia (UI) is one of the higher education institutions in Indonesia, with the main campus located in the northern part of Depok, West Java, right on the border between Depok and South Jakarta. Meanwhile, the other main campuses are in the Salemba area, Central Jakarta. The University of Indonesia is a modern, comprehensive, open, multicultural and humanist campus that covers a broad range of disciplines.
Currently, UI has 14 faculties, 2 postgraduate schools, and 1 vocational program that carries out all teaching, education and research activities, Sinaumed’s. More details about the UI. The University of Indonesia has received various awards including:
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version and ranked 67th in Asia in 2016.
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version and ranked 79th in Asia in 2015.
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version and ranked 71st in Asia in 2014.
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version and ranked 64th in Asia in 2013.
- Ranking first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version, ranked 59th in Asia, and ranked 273rd in the world in 2012.
- Ranking first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version, ranked 50th in Asia, and ranked 217th in the world in 2011.
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to the QS version and ranked 50th in Asia in 2010.
- Ranked first for the category of Indonesian universities in THES version in 2016.
- Ranked first for the category of Indonesian universities in THES version in 2015.
- Ranked first for the category of Indonesian universities in THES version in 2009.
- Ranked first for the category of Indonesian universities in THES version in 2008.
- Ranked 250th at THES in 2006 as a world class University and ranked 395th at THES 2007.
- Ranked first for the category of universities from Indonesia according to Webometrics and ranked 13th in Southeast Asia in 2016.
- Ranked 3rd for the category of universities from Indonesia according to Webometrics in 2015.
- Ranked 2nd for the category of universities from Indonesia according to Webometrics in 2014.
3. Indonesian Education University (UPI)
The Indonesian Education University (UPI) is a public university located in the city of Bandung, West Java. UPI has been accredited A by BAN-PT. In 2017 the Indonesian University of Education (UPI) was in the 13th position of the best Indonesian university according to the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education. UPI has 8 Faculties, 5 Regional Campuses, Postgraduate Schools (SPs) and UPI Laboratory Schools or Lab Schools.
UPI is a tertiary institution that adheres to a multi-campus system, namely with 6 campuses spread across two different provinces, namely West Java and Banten with the main campus located at Jalan Setiabudhi 229, Bandung. While other campuses are located in Cibiru, Tasikmalaya, Sumedang, Purwakarta, and Serang.
4. Diponegoro University (UNDIP)
Diponegoro University (UNDIP) has a vision of becoming a superior research university, and has been accredited A by Diponegoro University and has received A accreditation by the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education. UNDIP is located in the cities of Semarang and Jepara. Since its inception until now, Diponegoro University has had 11 Faculties and 2 Schools, with details of 21 Diploma III (D3) Study Programs, 51 Undergraduate Study Programs (S1), 35 Masters Study Programs (S2), 18 Specialist Medical Education Programs, 3 Professional Programs and 13 Doctoral Study Programs (S3). UNDIP’s achievements include:
- IYIA 2018, Bali, Indonesia Faculty of Science and Mathematics 2018 Champion III
- World Young International Exhibition (WYIE) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2018 2nd Place
- International 4 IEI & WIIF (The 10th International Exhibition of Inventions and The 3rd World Invention and Innovation Forum) in China 2018 First Place
- Global SDG7 Conference Faculty of Science and Mathematics 2018 Participation/ Delegate/ Participant in International Championships
- Japan Design and Invention Expo (JDIE) 2018, Tokyo First Place
- Bangkok International Intellectual Property, Invention, Innovation And Technology Exposition” (IPITEx 2018), 3rd Place
- Malaysia Technology Expo 3rd Place
- Malaysia Technology Expo 2018 Faculty of Science and Mathematics 2018 Champion III
- Japan Design and Invention Expo (JDIE) 2018, Tokyo International Exhibition Center 1st Place
5. Universitas Brawijaya (UB)
Universitas Brawijaya (UB) is a tertiary institution in Indonesia which was established in 1963 in Malang City, East Java. Universitas Brawijaya (UB) consistently ranks in the top 5 with the University of Indonesia, Bogor Agricultural Institute, Gadjah Mada University, and Bandung Institute of Technology based on the official assessment of the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education (Kemenristekdikti).
Until now, UB has 18 faculties and 221 study programs (prodi) with very broad scientific clusters starting from Vocational, Undergraduate, Masters, Doctoral, Specialist, and Professional programs. In 2018 Universitas Brawijaya (UB) won the General Champion of the 31st National Student Science Week (PIMNAS) which was held at Yogyakarta State University. Brawijaya University is also ranked 301st in Asia in 2020 by the QS Asian University Rankings.
6. Yogyakarta State University (UNY)
Is a university located in Yogyakarta. Initially, UNY was named the Yogyakarta Teaching and Education Institute (IKIP). UNY itself has been institutionally accredited A based on decision number 3127/SK/BAN-PT/Akred/PT/XII/2016 from BAN PT. In addition, most of the study programs or departments at UNY are also accredited A, Sinaumed’s.
Until now, UNY has 7 faculties and 1 postgraduate program. Each faculty consists of various departments. The 7 faculties include the Faculty of Education (FIP), Faculty of Languages and Arts (FBS), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (FMIPA), Faculty of Social Sciences (FIS), Faculty of Economics (FE), Faculty of Engineering (FT), Faculty of Science Sports (FIK) and Postgraduate Programs (PPs).
7. University of Lampung (UNILA)
Lampung University (UNILA) is a state university located in Bandar Lampung City, Lampung. Lampung University was founded on September 23, 1965 which at the same time made it the oldest and first state university in Lampung Province. Lampung University is located on Jl. Prof. Dr. Sumantri Brojonegoro No.1 Bandar Lampung City, Lampung and has been accredited A by BAN-PT.
Having 9 Faculties with 80 Study Programs and Departments, there are several scholarships to study at this University, including BIDIKMISI Scholarships, PMPAP Scholarships, Scholarships from the Government through BPPA (Academic Achievement Improvement Scholarships) and BBM Scholarships (Student Study Assistance). Scholarships from government and private institutions including the Lampung Provincial Education Office, KOMATSU, BTN, Eka Tjipta Foundation and others.
8. Airlangga University (UNAIR)
Airlangga University (UNAIR) located in Surabaya, East Java, was first inaugurated by the President of Indonesia Dr.Ir.Soekarno on 10 November 1954 after the University of Indonesia and Gadjah Mada University. Airlangga University has a strategic location on Jalan Airlangga 4 – 6 Surabaya City.
In addition, UNAIR has 3 campuses with different faculties, namely Campus A (Faculty of Dentistry and Faculty of Medicine), Campus B (Faculty of Economics and Business, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Humanities and Faculty of Psychology) and Campus C (Faculty of Nursing, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Faculty of Public Health, and Faculty of Science). UNAIR’s achievements include:
- Prize in the carousel for the invention of fodder
- Health Award PT. Astra
- PWI East Java award thanks to the bird flu vaccine
- Awarded as the most active and most contributing contributor to the QS WOW NEWS website
- Two researchers from Unair won the 2015 Young Investigator Award (YIA) at KOBE University, Japan
- Islamic Economics students won the Best Entrepreneurial award at the Youth on Entrepreneurship event in Malaysia
- Dean of the Faculty of Cultural Studies (FIB) Diah Ariani Arimbi, PhD., received an award from an international Non-Government Organization (NGO)
9. Bogor Agricultural Institute (IPB), Bogor
Bogor Agricultural University (IPB) is a state agricultural university located in Bogor. There are many alumni of important Indonesian figures, graduates of this University, including the 6th President of the Republic of Indonesia Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Suswono (former Minister of Agriculture), Mustafa Abubakar (former Minister of BUMN), Anton Apriyantono (former Minister of Agriculture) and many others.
IPB also provides a large selection of study programs on agricultural sciences. There are 24 study programs that have been accredited internationally. Now IPB has 9 faculties and 1 business school with 39 undergraduate study programs. With the various achievements he has achieved, here are some of them:
- IPB is included in the 100 Best Universities in the world according to the 2018 QS World University Ranking by Subject Agriculture and Forestry.
- IPB is ranked 130th in Asia QS Asian University Rankings 2018
- Indonesia’s Best Higher Education IPB (Ranking by Kemenristekdikti) Ranked 3rd (2018), Ranked 3rd (2017), Ranked 4th (2016), and Ranked 3rd (2015).
- For the innovations it produces, IPB received the National Rank 1 Widyapadhi Award from the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education in 2018 and 2017.
- IPB won the Best Foreign Research Partner Award in the 2018, 2017 and 2016 State University (PTN) Category.
- IPB won the Best Report Card Rating for Program Implementation and Activities from the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education in 2018, 2017 and 2016.
10. Semarang State University (UNNES)
Semarang State University (UNNES) is a conservation-minded university, its main campus is located in the Sekaran area (Gunungpati), the southern region of Semarang City and other campuses are located in Ngaliyan (Semarang), Kelud (Semarang), Bendan Ngisor (Semarang) and in Kemandungan (Tegal ). Accredited A by BAN-PT. UNNES organizes vocational education (D3), bachelor (S1), master (S2), doctoral (S3) and professional education programs. There are 85 study programs managed in eight faculties and postgraduate programs.
11. Muhammadiyah University of Surakarta (UMS), Surakarta
Muhammadiyah University Surakarta (UMS) is one of 164 Muhammadiyah Colleges (PTM) and one of 1,890 Private Universities (PTS) in Indonesia. This UMS is located in Kartasura District, Sukoharjo Regency. Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta consists of 12 Faculties, including: Faculty of Medicine (FK) Faculty of Dentistry Faculty of Health Sciences (FIK) Faculty of Teaching and Education (FKIP) Faculty of Engineering (FT) consisting of: Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, chemical engineering , mechanical engineering, architectural engineering, and electrical engineering Faculty of Economics (FE) Faculty of Law (FH) Faculty of Pharmacy (FF), Faculty of Psychology Faculty of Geography (FG) Faculty of Islamic Religion (FAI) Faculty of Communication and Informatics (FKI) – consists of two programs study: Communication Science and Informatics Engineering.
The Communication Science Study Program specializes in Advertising, Broadcasting and Public Relations, while the Informatics Engineering Study Program specializes in Information Systems, Computer Network Systems and Software Engineering Systems. Starting from the 2009/2010 academic year, the Informatics Engineering Study Program also opened international classes. The university is ranked 131st in the World. The ranking is carried out by UniRank or 4 International Colleges and University (4ICU). Previously, UMS was also awarded the UniRank ranking as the best PTS in Indonesia.
The achievement of UMS, which was included in the 200 best in Asia, repeated the same achievement in 2019. It’s just that in 2019, UMS was in the 157th best position, while in 2020 the UMS ranking was in 131st position. Of the 18 universities from Indonesia that were included in the 200 Asian rankings , UMS is in the order of number 11.
12. Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Bandung
The Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) is the first technical high school in Indonesia which was founded on March 2, 1959 in West Java. Located in Bandung, the Faculty is an educational unit at ITB which has several study programs (formerly departments), both at the undergraduate, masters, and doctoral levels. Meanwhile, a school is an educational unit that has several study programs with adjacent scientific fields.
For example, the School of Electrical and Informatics Engineering (STEI) ITB has 6 study programs, namely in the field of electrotechnics (electrical engineering, telecommunications, biomedical, and electric power), and in the field of computer science (informatics engineering and information technology systems).
Seven study programs (prodi) at the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) have succeeded in breaking into the top rankings of universities around the world. The seven study programs include Art & Design (rank 51), Computer Science & Information Systems (351), Chemical Engineering or Chemical Engineering (251), Electrical Engineering (Electrical Engineering) rank 301, Mechanical, Aeronautical Engineering & Manufacture (Mechanical Engineering) rank 251, Agriculture & Forestry or Agricultural and Forestry Engineering (201) and Business & Management Studies (251).
Rank 13 – 50 Best Universities in Indonesia
- State University of Malang (UNM), Malang
- University of North Sumatra (USU), Medan
- Yogyakarta Muhammadiyah University (UMY), Yogyakarta
- Bina Nusantara University (BINUS), Jakarta
- Telkom University, Bandung
- Sepuluh Nopember Institute of Technology (ITS), Surabaya
- University of Jember (UNEJ), Jember
- Udayana University (UNUD), Bali
- State Islamic University of Maulana Malik Ibrahim Malang
- Andalas University (UNAND), Padang
- Eleven March University (UNS), Surakarta
- Hasanuddin University (UNHAS), Makassar
- Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta State Islamic University (UIN), Jakarta
- University of Muhammadiyah Malang (UMM), Malang
- Sunan Ampel State Islamic University (UINSA), Surabaya
- Indonesian Islamic University (UII), Yogyakarta
- Walisongo State Islamic University, Semarang
- Sulthan Syarif Kasim State Islamic University, Riau
- Pasundan University (UNPAS), Bandung
- Surabaya State University (UNESA), Surabaya
- Syiah Kuala University (UNSYIAH), Aceh
- Mercu Buana University (UMB), Jakarta
- Gunadarma University (UG), Depok
- Sunan Kalijaga State Islamic University, Yogyakarta
- Jambi University (UNJA), Jambi
- Ahmad Dahlan University (UAD), Yogyakarta
- Dian Nuswantoro University (UDINUS), Semarang
- Sriwijaya University (UNSRI), Palembang
- Alauddin State Islamic University, Makassar
- Sam Ratulangi University (UNSRAT), Manado
- Padang State University (UNP), Padang
- Sanata Dharma University (USD), Yogyakarta
- Narotama University (UNNAR), Surabaya
- Indonesian Computer University (UNIKOM), Bandung
- Mataram University (UNRAM), Mataram
- General Soedirman University (UNSOED), Purwokerto
- Purwokerto Muhammadiyah University (UMP), Purwokerto
- Atma Jaya University (UAJY), Yogyakarta