Connotation is – The words connotation and denotation are definitely terms that are often heard and are familiar to our ears, of course, because these two words will appear in Indonesian subject matter. Maybe You is still confused about the terms connotation and denotation. These two terms refer to the meaning contained in a word.
We as humans certainly use language to serve as a communication tool in interacting with other humans in everyday life. In communicating, someone sometimes uses sentences that have figurative meanings or not true meanings.
Connotation is often used to beautify a sentence of expression on a word. We can find this in literary works such as rhymes, poems, short stories and others. In this article, we will discuss more fully about connotation. So, see this article to the end, You.
Definition of Connotation
Connotative meaning is a type of meaning in which stimulus and response contain emotional values. This meaning can arise because the speaker wants to express feelings of approval, disapproval, pleasure, displeasure and so on to the listener or speaker.
Of course, the choice of connotative words must be careful and not to choose the wrong word. For example, the word ‘thin’ to replace the word ‘slender’, in a complementary context, this kind of error is very easy to spot. However, it will be difficult if the difference in meaning between words that are synonymous, but have a large difference in meaning in a particular context.
The use of this connotation itself is often found in short stories, rhymes, poems, songs, or some works of art, especially other literary works. Connotation also aims to beautify an expression sentence.
Characteristics of Connotative Meaning
To be able to understand connotation, here are some of the characteristics of connotation that you need to know:
- The connotative meaning occurs when the word has a sense value, either positive or negative. If it doesn’t have a taste value, it can also be called a neutral connotation.
- The connotative meaning of a word may differ from one community group to another. In accordance with the views of life and norms that exist in the community.
- The connotative meaning can change from time to time.
Connotative Meaning Function
The connotation used in a piece of writing certainly has its function. The following are the functions of connotative meaning or connotative words that You needs to know:
- To embellish a story
- To soften a speech
- To show dislike to others
- To show anger to others
- To curse others for their emotional reactions
- To increase the intensity of meaning.
Type of Connotation
The connotation itself has 2 types, namely good connotation and bad connotation. Here is an explanation.
Good connotations are words that have good meaning and are considered by some people to have good taste, familiar, polite and high value. However, this good connotation is also divided into two, namely high connotation and low connotation.
Bad connotations are words that some people consider to have a sense of being impolite, inappropriate, rude and could offend other people. Bad connotation itself is divided into five namely dangerous connotation, inappropriate connotation, unpleasant connotation, harsh connotation, and hard connotation.
Examples of Connotation Words
So that you are not confused and it is easier to understand the word connotation, then you can see the example of the word connotation below.
- Rini is a lighthearted and kind child. The word ‘light hand’ means a child who is diligent and likes to help.
- Mutiara is the golden child in her family. The word ‘golden child’ has the meaning of the most beloved child.
- Due to her big head, Reni is shunned by her friends. The word ‘big head’ has a conceited meaning.
- The official is looking for a scapegoat to keep his post. The word ‘scapegoat’ has the meaning of someone who is blamed.
- If you have a problem, it’s better to solve it with a cold heart. The word ‘cold heart’ means patient
- Pak Bambang becomes the police’s right-hand man to help solve kidnapping cases. The word ‘right hand’ has the meaning of a confidant
- Many heroes have died on the battlefield. The word ‘aborted’ means to die.
- An ink coolie doing news coverage. The word ‘ink worker’ means journalist.
- The instant success he got made him forget the land. The word ‘forget the mainland’ has the meaning of being arrogant or forgetting oneself.
- The workers feel that the company they work for only turns them into cash cows. The word ‘dairy cow’ has the meaning of a person who is used by other people to gain an advantage.
- After visiting the RT’s house, Riri became the talk of the town. The word ‘fruit of the lips’ has the meaning of material for discussion.
- With a heavy heart, the boss fired his employee because of the mistake he made. The word ‘heavy heart’ has the meaning of not having the heart.
- The perpetrators of the theft have been put in jail. The word ‘iron bars’ has the meaning of prison.
- You have to be tolerant of your failures. The word ‘broad’ has the meaning of accepting steadfastly.
- Yuyun became an alone child because her parents died. The word ‘alone’ has the meaning of not having a family.
- Mother brought lots of souvenirs after recreation. The word ‘handicap’ has the meaning of souvenirs.
- Putri is known as a geek at her school. The word ‘bookworm’ has the meaning of a person who likes to study or read books.
- Office rats should not be given a light sentence. The word ‘office rat’ means corruptor.
- During the pandemic, many traders were forced to go out of business. The word ‘bankrupt’ means bankrupt.
- Naufal decided to hang up his racket. The word ‘hang racket’ has the meaning of stopping or retiring in badminton.
- Father works hard to pay for his children to go to school. The word ‘work hard’ has the meaning of working hard.
- Devi always uses shortcuts when facing exams. The word ‘shortcut’ has the meaning of using bad methods or cheating.
- Deni was ordered to leave the house because he was caught stealing his friend’s belongings. The word ‘pick up’ means to go.
- Devi is the flower of the village because of her pretty face. The word ‘village flower’ means the most beautiful woman in the village.
The Difference between Connotation and Denotation
If you have ever heard the word connotation, You will definitely know what is meant by denotation. Maybe some people will find it difficult to distinguish between these two things. However, the two have very visible differences.
Denotation is the real meaning. Denotation also means the meaning as it is attached to an object. In other words, denotation has an original meaning, does not evoke feelings either negative or positive, and has a general nature.
In addition, denotation also has an explicit and objective meaning based on objects that are seen and captured by the five human senses.
So, in simple terms, the word connotation has no real meaning and the word denotation has real meaning.
Examples of Denotation Words
If you have previously given examples of connotation words, so that you can easily distinguish between them, you also need to know some examples of denotation words.
- Today’s weather is very hot. The word ‘hot’ means high temperature.
- The glass fell and shattered. The word ‘destroyed’ means broken into small pieces.
- Boni picked rambutan fruit that was still green. The word ‘green’ means young.
- The Ciliwung River overflowed due to heavy rains. The word ‘overflow’ has the meaning of overflowing with many.
- As a child, Wendi had a habit of biting his fingers. The word ‘biting the finger’ has the meaning of putting the finger in the mouth and biting it.
- Uncle has a dairy cow. The word ‘dairy cow’ means a cow whose milk is taken.
- Security was working until early morning. The word ‘early morning’ means early in the morning.
- Rino’s hand caught fire while playing with fire. The word ‘playing with fire’ has the meaning of playing with fire.
- My sister sat in a soft chair made of foam. The word ‘soft chair’ means a comfortable chair to sit on.
- After playing, Dian rolled up the mat and put it back. The word ‘roll mat’ has the meaning of rolling up mats, mats are webbing that is commonly used for sitting mats.
So, that’s a complete explanation of connotation along with the difference between it and denotation. As previously explained, connotations are often used in literary works, so if you want to find article related to literature, you can get them at Sinaumedia.com .