Music Arts Medium – Sinaumed’s must be no stranger to the existence of this musical art! Yep, most people on this earth really depend on music for their life. It is even known that music is a form of art that has many fans, inseparable from modern music and traditional music. In addition, music is also another way to express feelings, ideas or emotions, apart from literature.
As with other works of art, this art of music also has its own medium. The art medium of music is what makes something that can be called music and is known by many people. Then actually, what is the medium of the art of music? What is the history of the existence of music that can eventually develop into various kinds of this? What is the function of the art of music which is known in the eyes of the culture and religions on this earth? So, so that Sinaumed’s understands this, let’s look at the following review!
Getting to Know What is a Medium in the Art of Music
If discussing about what the medium of the art of music is, then the answer is tone . Yep, the art of music is present in human life in the form of a unity of rhythm, melody, harmony, form and style, and expression. Sinaumed’s must also know that the art of music doesn’t only have instruments, but also accompanied by vocals. This means, when there is someone who knows how to play a musical instrument or make an instrumental, but does not understand vocal techniques himself, he cannot be called a musician. Meanwhile, in other works of art, for example dance, the medium is the human body.
Understanding the Art of Music
Then if there are more questions about what is the art of music, does Sinaumed’s already know what is the right definition for this?
Since in the term “art of music” there is the word “art” which is synonymous with beauty, pleasure, and recreation, the music that is created will usually be tailored to the tastes of the listeners. But if in the world of education, this art will be closely related to its influence on the mental and physical development of students. Not only that, now that music art education is included in the national education system, which will shape the behavior of students in a better direction because art can also introduce them to the values and norms that exist in society.
According to Jamalus, the art of music has a definition in the form of something that produces a work of art in the form of sound. From that sound, it can then become a song or other composition that shows the ideas and feelings of the creator, through musical elements such as rhythm, harmony, melody, song arrangement, and expression into a single unit. Meanwhile, David Ewen also argues that the art of music is the science and art of combinations of rhythmic and several tones. Both vocal and instrument forms also cover a melody and harmony as a form of expression to be expressed.
So, from some of the experts’ opinions, it can be concluded that this art of music is a work of art whose ideas and feelings are embodied in a song with a composition of musical elements such as rhythm, harmony, melody, and expression into a single unit. You also need to know , Sinaumed’s, that this art of music is a product of beauty from human efforts to create beauty through sound arrangements that are arranged regularly. These efforts are usually carried out deliberately to obtain satisfaction that can be enjoyed by the human sense of hearing.
Types and Characters in the Art of Music
Sinaumed’s must also know that there are various types of music in this hemisphere. Each type of musical art has its own characteristics or characteristics so that each type of musical art has a different character from one another. Well, here are the types and characters that exist in the art of music.
1. Traditional Music
Traditional music is a type of music that originates from a tradition in an area that lives and develops in its community. This traditional music tends to be used as a local culture because it is directly related and seems to integrate into the daily life of the people. This traditional music can also be divided into two types, namely:
- Folk Traditional: originates from the culture of the community, has a simple form, and integrates with people’s lives.
- Classical Traditional: the art of folk music that has undergone refinement in the form of an artistic environment, so that the results are more refined and are usually performed by court artists. Examples include karawitan and Javanese gending.
Characteristics of Traditional Music
- Personality : calm and solemn. Because, usually this traditional music will be performed for certain sacred ritual ceremonies.
- Audience : connoisseurs of traditional music and artists.
- Visibility: the distance between the audience and the music is relatively close, and they usually don’t even need loudspeakers anymore.
- Relationship : The staging system between the musicians and the audience only takes place in one direction.
- Spatial Acoustics : Becomes important in order to obtain sound clarity, especially for artists. If there are sound disturbances in the room such as echoes, echoes, and noise, this can reduce comfort when enjoying the show.
2. Modern Music
Modern music is a piece of music that is based on the principles of modernism, namely by emphasizing universalist values. The existence of modern music is easier to find in the development of modern society like today, let’s say there is pop, jazz, rock, EDM, blues, R&B, Rap, Reggae, and many more.
Characteristics of Modern Music
- Personality : free and relaxed. In modern music performances, there are no binding rules, so the musicians improvise more to make their appearance more attractive.
- Audience : general public with various age ranges.
- Visibility : the distance between the musicians and the audience is relatively close and even free. Not infrequently, the audience will be invited to sing along so that the atmosphere becomes more lively.
- Relationship : there is a relationship or 2-way communication between the musician and the audience.
- Spatial Acoustics: Not much of a priority, because the audience is more focused on the appearance of the musicians on stage than the sound produced by the musicians. Therefore, it is not uncommon for musicians to use the lipsync technique .
- Lighting : Using special lighting to liven up the atmosphere. Usually the use of laser light as a stage background , fireworks, and others.
3. Contemporary Music
Contemporary music is a type of music that existed in the post-modern era as a form of returning to seek cultural and social values in art. Usually, this type of music is in the form of traditional music which is then reworked using modern technology to produce a new creation of music.
Characteristics of Contemporary Music
- Personality : calm and relaxed. Even though this music is basically traditional music, through the process of improvisation using modern technology it will produce new music creations that are more relaxed. Not infrequently, his appearance is also more relaxed and free alias not rigid.
- Audience : artists, music observers, and the general public.
- Visibility: there is a distance between the stage and the audience, namely so that the audience can watch towards the stage freely and clearly. Apart from that, the musicians can move around the stage area.
- Relationship : There is often two-way communication between the musicians and the audience in the form of dialogue to break up the atmosphere.
- Spatial Acoustics: Becomes an important thing, because in this type of contemporary music, apart from being enjoyed from the attractions of the stage, it is also the quality of the music.
- Lighting : Being important, especially to support the value of existing music.
4. Classical Music
Basically, classical music is music that was born from European culture around 1750-1825. Classical music is classified in a certain periodization, starting from the classical, baroque, rococo, and romantic periods. Until now, classical music is often associated with its great figures, namely Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, or Haydn. The existence of classical music is often interpreted as a musical genre that is full of beauty and high intellect at all times, whether in the form of Mozart’s symphonies, Bach’s cantatas, or works in the 20th century.
Classical music is often associated with classicism, a style of art, literature, and architecture from Europe, especially in the 18th century. One of the main characteristics of this musical genre is giving more meaning to the instrumental music. In classical music, it has a regular rhythm and pitch, not slanted notes. Even music experts argue that this musical genre can also be used as an educational tool as well as a tool to sharpen human intelligence, because it has 3 elements of balance, namely: melody, rhythm, and timbre ( tone color ).
Examples of classical music works that are still known and played in orchestras, for example:
- Four Seasons Spring, by Antonio Vivaldi
- Canon in D Major, by Johann Pachelbel
- Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, by JS Bach
- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, by W.A. Mozart
- The Blue Danube, by Johann Strauss II
Characteristics of Classical Music
- Personality : calm and full of concentration. This is because the appearance of this type of music tends to be formal, so that both the musicians and the audience will wear neat and polite clothes.
- Audience : artists, music observers, and the general public.
- Sight Distance : there is a distance between the stage and the audience. This is so that both parties also get the freedom of view.
- Relationship : Communication between the musician and the audience takes place in one direction, so that the audience only enjoys it.
- Spatial Acoustics: This is important, because in this type of music the perfection of performance is the quality of success, so sound disturbances should be avoided as much as possible.
- Lighting : there is a special lighting towards the stage .
Music Art Function
Of course, the existence of the art of music in everyday human life provides many benefits, as is the case with other works of art. Well, here are the functions or benefits of the art of music in human life.
1. As a Means of Self Expression
That is, music can be a vessel especially for musicians to express their feelings. If you want to express happy feelings, musicians usually play rhythms with fast and passionate tempos. Meanwhile, if the musician is feeling sad, then he will play the rhythm at a slow and smooth tempo.
2. As a Commercial Means
Music is also often used as a source of income by artists. This income is obtained by selling recordings of their musical works in the form of CDs (Compact Discs) or cassettes in the market. In fact, not infrequently, their music works will be contracted or purchased directly by film studio houses and advertising agencies as their backsound .
3. As a Means of Communication
In addition to producing sounds that are pleasant to hear, sounds in music also contain rhythmic patterns which have specific aims and objectives. Usually, this music will be used in a special ceremony.
4. As a Means of Creativity
Basically, creativity is a pure nature that exists in every individual and also accompanies personality in order to fulfill needs. Therefore, music can also be used as a container for the fulfillment of human creativity.
5. As a Means of Therapy
Does Sinaumed’s know that music can actually be used as a therapy for patients, especially for those with mental disorders or paralysis of the organs. Not only that, music is also often used as a relaxation for the brain pattern system that is tired of working. The use of music as a therapy has apparently been applied after the second world war, especially to recover the mentality of the war victims.
6. As an Educational Facility
The existence of the art of music is also often used, especially in the field of the learning process. In fact, nowadays many schools have included the art of music into their education system so that their students are more sensitive to music, which is introduced through songs of struggle.
7. As a Ceremonial Means
This musical art is also closely related to the continuity of certain ceremonies. For example, traditional ceremonies, state ceremonies, marriage ceremonies, to death ceremonies. The role of music as a means of this ceremony is to add to the solemnity of the community at the ceremony in question.
8. As a Means of Dance
The existence of music and dance are two things that cannot be separated. Indirectly, the two arts have the same pattern and rhythm. So it can be said that a dance without the accompaniment of musical rhythms will look empty and even make it difficult for the dancers to be more expressive.
9. As a Means of Entertainment
Does Sinaumed’s know that since ancient times, the existence of this art of music has been used by people at that time as a medium for entertainment, which was not only intended for himself but also for the general public. For example, in the tradition of traditional music which is usually “hand in hand” with wayang plays. Because of this combination, it turns out that it really produces a work of art that makes people feel entertained.
So, that’s an overview of what is the medium of the art of music and the types of music that are often encountered in life. Does Sinaumed’s also often use music as a medium of entertainment when he’s bored?
Book Recommendations & Related Articles
Mulyono, D. (1999). Music Art Exhibition Hall in Yogyakarta .
- Get to Know the 3 Types of Female Voices and Musical Elements
- History and Development of Classical Music
- History of the Development of the Orchestra and Examples of Musical Instruments
- Understanding Five Tone Intervals
- The Development and History of Dangdut in Indonesia
- Get to know BC. Mochtar, the Creator of the Mother’s Love Song
- Characteristics and Functions of Regional Songs
- List of Macapat songs and their meanings
- Examples of Gamelan Musical Instruments and How to Play It
- Definition and Order of Scales
- Types of Tone Intervals in Music