What Is Integrity? – Does Sinaumed’s know what integrity is? The word integrity may often be heard by Sinaumed’s as an action, behavior or attitude that a person needs to have in the world of work or a principle of life. Simply put, integrity is honesty which is a principle and is always upheld.
Basically, integrity needs to be owned by everyone as a form of responsibility, both for tasks, work, or daily activities.
To fully understand what integrity is, Sinaumed’s can refer to this article which discusses the meaning, characteristics, examples, and ways to apply integrity, both in the world of work and in the principles of one’s life:
What Is Integrity?
- A firm attitude not wanting corruption, sticking to principles, and being the basis for relating to oneself as a moral value
- Qualities, traits, or conditions that indicate a unified whole have the potential and ability to radiate authority, authority, and honesty
Honesty in this case is not just words, rhetorical sweeteners, but also actions. If it starts with honesty, credibility, and many other noble qualities, then these are the characters that leaders really need now and forever. This noble character will of course lead to the human chosen by Al Mustafa Muhammad SAW as the perfecter of human character.
One form of personal integration is to look confident and elegant and not be easily swayed by something just to pass on a moment of excitement or pleasure. Someone who is sincere is more successful when they are a leader, whether formal or informal.
Dr. Kenneth Boa, president of Reflections Ministry in Atlanta, describes integrity as the opposite of hypocrisy. He said the hypocrite is less qualified to lead others than his higher personality. Honesty is necessary for everyone, not just leaders, but those who are mentored. People want assurance that their leader can be trusted to become their follower.
Sinaumed’s definitely believes that leaders must take the interests of every team member seriously and leaders must believe that their team members take their responsibilities seriously. Managers and leaders alike want to know they keep their promises and never lose those commitments.
People who live in good faith are willing or unable to undermine the trust of those who trust them. It is a sign of integrity with a form of taking responsibility even when the person feels bad to say it.
Integrity has more to do with “heart”, the ability to exercise conscience, including honesty, sincerity, and dedication. Integrity is built on three key elements, namely the value of leadership, coherence and commitment. These values are the guidelines that managers need in the field.
This integrity becomes stronger when a leader is consistent between what is said and what is done (carries out his words) and is committed to it. Without integrity, we will lose trust because others stay away from us to avoid disappointment. Integrity is the practice of being honest and demonstrating consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong principles, moral values and ethics.
Integrity does not change and is unwavering in supporting one’s noble values and beliefs. Another definition of what integrity is is a concept related to coherence between behavior and values and principles. In ethics, integrity is defined as honesty and accuracy or correctness of one’s actions. The opposite of integrity is hypocrisy (hypocrisy or hypocrisy).
When people’s actions conform to the values, beliefs, and principles they teach, they are said to have integrity. Simply put, the quality of a sincere person is only shown by words and actions, not by those who can’t keep their words. A sincere person is not one who has many faces and looks adapted to his personal motivations and interests.
Integrity is an important personal for leaders. Sincere managers win the trust of employees. Genuine managers are trusted because what they say is what they do. To understand what integrity is more broadly, Sinaumed’s can also pay attention to the meaning of integrity according to the following experts:
- According to Henry Cloud, integrity is someone who is fully integrated in every part of himself, works well, and cannot be separated from carrying out functions according to what has been previously designed. Integrity is closely related to the wholeness and effectiveness of a person as a person.
- According to the Big Indonesian Dictionary, the term integrity is a unified whole of qualities, characteristics and conditions with the potential and ability to radiate authority and integrity.
- According to Ippho Santosa, integrity is often defined as a combination of thoughts, words and actions that create reputation and trust. When referring to the origin of the word, the word perfection means speaking in full and complete.
- According to Andreas Harefa, integrity are three observable keys. It’s about showing honesty, fulfilling obligations, and doing things consistently.
- Stephen R. Covey distinguishes between integrity and honesty. “honesty is telling the truth, in other words, conforming our words reality-integrity is conforming to our words, in other words, keeping promises and fulfilling expectations.” Honesty means telling the truth, and our words correspond to reality. Honesty proves that what he does is what he says. People who have integrity and are honest are independent people. They show their credibility as responsible and loyal people. According to
- According to Jacobs (2004), integrity emphasizes moral immutability, personal honesty, or honesty.
- According to Butler and Cantrell (1984, Hosmer, 1995), integrity is defined as a credible and honest reputation of those who define the term “trust” in an organizational context.
Characteristics of People with Integrity
- People who have no particular guise or purpose other than what is shown
- People who behave according to what they say
- People who are the same in nature and behavior in front and behind
- Have consistency between what is believed and behavior
- People who are consistent between the values of life that are adopted and the life that is carried out
In fact, the term integrity is rarely used in everyday life, because not everyone knows and understands the meaning of integrity in more detail. The word integrity is used in everyday life because it refers to a person’s attitude and character. A person is said to have integrity if he has the following personality and character traits:
- Trustworthy and honest
- Have a commitment
- Keeps his word
- Appreciate time
- Have the principle of being loyal to the values of life
Examples of Forms of Integrity
There are five habits or examples of forms of integrity that everyone should have, especially for those who seek high integrity in their lives. These five habits are examples of an attitude of integrity. People have strong integrity when they practice five habits such as the following:
1. Always Arrive on Time
First and foremost, always make a habit of showing up on time. This attitude is related to our high commitment and time, because arriving on time means respecting the time we have and the time that others have.
This attitude will further convince the people around us that we are credible individuals because we live in good faith. On the other hand, when we are often late, other people don’t really respect us.
Just don’t value their time why can’t they. Do we still deserve the respect of others? Not only does our respect diminish, but our internal trust is lost. Therefore, from now on, practice and apply this habit all the time.
2. Clarifying Commitments We Cannot Make
Integrity includes the commitment and tenacity we have for something. That’s why everything that can’t be done from the start, that can be inconsistent with the values and principles of life needs to be avoided. When Sinaumed’s started by saying this, the people around us became even more convinced that we were noble. Why? This is because one adheres to one’s current values in all circumstances, at any time, anywhere.
3. Clarify Actions And Notes Written At The End Of Each Meeting
It’s important to clarify. The goal is for what we understand and record to be consistent with what others think in the meeting. One of the main reasons things get overlooked in meetings is because no one is on hand to organize everything, be it the key points or the final agreement of the meeting.
For example, the recipient doesn’t know exactly what the other party wants in the meeting. Of course, this jeopardized his position. Because if he can’t achieve what he wants, he loses the trust of customers and other stakeholders. Building integrity can be achieved by good practice in clarifying the issues and actions discussed and communicating them clearly at the end of the meeting.
4. Always Fulfilling Given Responsibilities
People with great integrity always try to fulfill their responsibilities. In addition, they strive to achieve the best results without holding others to account. So, if Sinaumed’s really wants high integrity, start by using good habits to fulfill all existing responsibilities. The name of the responsibility must be written carefully, whether the responsibility is small or large.
5. Don’t Let Stress Control Integrity
Stress and pressure often makes people feel awkward and cut corners by undermining their integrity. For example, a former employee of XYZ company is a very sincere person. But due to situations that make his job difficult and almost hopeless, he does something that violates the law.
If he commits a business-damaging offense, he indirectly destroys his integrity. So it’s stress that triggers us to take a deep breath and do our best. Don’t let stress destroy the self-integrity we had before.
How to Establish Integrity
1. Give a Detailed Explanation of What Integrity Means in the Workplace
Career advice for Sinaumed’s who are executives, leaders or business owners who really want their employees to be honest, the first thing that needs to be done is to explain what integrity really means in a company. With a clear and detailed definition of integrity, team members or employees will understand what the company expects from them.
Especially in terms of honesty and transparency. In this regard, it is necessary to establish a set of ethical standards for employees and apply their work ethics collectively.
2. Create an open and transparent work environment
By creating an open and transparent work environment, employees are more comfortable because they can freely discuss various topics without fear of violating the law. Through transparent discussion of topics, employees feel that their presence in the company is valued and recognized. This makes it even more difficult to do what is best for the company and maintain integrity.
3. It Is Important To Lead By Example
Unfortunately, there are still many managers who only develop a work ethic that must be obeyed by employees, but they themselves do not act according to the prevailing work ethic. In this case, the leader must be able to set an example and meet the company’s expectations. In other words, it’s not just employees who need to maintain integrity. But managers must do the same. Sinaumed’s needs to pay attention to what the boss says and implement it.
4. Implement Regular Self-Integrity Assessments
This fourth method requires employees to provide feedback to themselves. For example, how does Sinaumed’s rate its performance in the last few weeks or months? Encourage employees to reflect and evaluate their performance so they can see what they are lacking in their performance. In this way, employees become honest with themselves and have integrity.
5. Be Consistent With Employees About Integrity In The Workplace
In this case, Sinaumed’s must consistently adhere to the expected work ethic and show appreciation or gratitude to employees who act accordingly. However, if an employee violates it, we must also take steps to correct the violation. For example warnings and sanctions.
Benefits of Integrity
- Benefits of Physical Integrity can make a person healthy and fit. In this state, a person can start daily activities and work properly
- Benefits of Intellectual Integrity can optimize brain performance to think more strategically in making decisions based on many considerations
- Benefits of Emotional Integrity can fill a person with a high sense of solidarity in motivation, empathy, and work interactions
- The Benefits of Mental Integrity make a person smarter in interpreting things, including life experiences, as successes and failures that have been experienced.
- Benefits of Social Integrity is the ability to develop relationships between individuals and society. Collaborate with someone to do a task or activity that requires cohesion and collaboration
Well, that’s an explanation of what integrity is. Does Sinaumed’s feel that he has integrity, both in the world of work and in his daily activities? Integrity is something that can be formed and learned, so we can strive to form that integrity for the good of life and responsibility for our duties and work.
You can visit sinaumedia’s collection of books about integrity at www.sinaumedia.com for Sinaumed’s , such as the following book recommendations: Enjoy studying. #Friends Without Limits.
- 16 Tips To Be More Respected By Others
- 12 Tips for Studying Online to Stay Effective
- 8 Tips for Saving for the Most Powerful Student
- Tips for Establishing Effective Communication and Book References
- 4 Reasons Millennials Deserve to Be Great Leaders